Thursday, December 24, 2015

Crafted Knitting Plairn Plastic Bag Holder Pattern (Not Tested)

Knit Version
With double pointed needles (dpn) and C, cast on 25 15 sts. Place marker for beginning of rnd. Join by working the first st on left hand needle with the working yarn from the right hand needle, being careful not to twist sts.
Bind off 57 42 sts – 3 sts remain on needles.

Image of Knit Or Crochet Plastic Bag Keeper

Ok, first my rant on Lion Yarn who used to have free patterns.  Whatever this is up there.  It is a mess.  Luckily, I'm a knitting inventor.  Here's the new pattern.

Plairn(Bascially Sport weight)
Size 8 Needles

Cast on 16.

Double ribbed.  knit 4 rows

Knit 4, add one, continue to end of row.
Knit one row.

Do this 4 times.  (or more, I'll have to do the pattern to see.)

Continue until desired length.  Cast off half sans two, knit two, cast of half sans two, knit two.

turn, knit two, cast on 16.  Knit for two rows.

Update.  Did something like this.  It is coming together but awful in how I added stitches.  Add one, which makes holes and knit into front and back, which comes up with a bar on the stitch.  I keep telling myself...It's just for the plastic bags, which go under the cabinet, anyway. 
Bind off.

Update:  I never did anything with this.  I can't even remember trying.

Here is a new pattern I've found from Lemele Knits.  I might try working with plarn.  It's not super difficult to make and I'll probably find a tutorial online that I'll link to from here.

Needles: I used a size 9 24-inch circular, using a magic loop for the first parts of the bag and working up to using the full needle. You could use DPs for bottom of the bag.

Yarn: Plastic yarn, made in this case from Safeway bags. You can find many sets of instructions on how to make plarn by searching the internet; I commented on a few methods in a previous post.

I started by knitting a flat circle for the bottom of the bag:

CO 8 stitches, join together to knit in the round.
Row 1: k8
Row 2: k1, m1 8 times
Row 3: k16
Row 4: k2, m1 8 times
Row 5: k24
Continue like this, with a total of 8 increases every 2 rounds, until your bottom is at a size you like. Then switch to wall stitch:
Row 1: knit all
Row 2: k2, yo until end. It winds up being easiest if you move your row marker one over each time, making the last stitch of each even row the k1. You’ll slowly wind up rotating your marker around the top of your bag as you go.

Continue following this pattern to make your bag as tall as you like. A word of advice: once you start filling your bag, this will stretch to be about 25%-50% longer than you started.

Bind off. Halfway around the circle, leave 7-9 loose stitches on a dp needle or cable needle. When you get to the last 7-9 stitches (the same number you used on the other side of the bag), switch to stockinette to knit the handle. I only used 5 stitches here, and will definitely make the handle wider the next time I go this. When your handle is long enough (again, remember that it will wind up stretching with use), knit it into your remaining loose stitches on the opposite side of the bag. You want to do this on the purl side (aka the inside of the bag), purling each of your working stitches onto a loose stitch. Tie off and work in the loose plarn.

By the end of the bag, I had run out of my existing plarn and so was slowly adding loops as I worked across the handle. This actually turned out to be really handy because it meant I was able to time the end of my bag exactly with the end of my yarn. I had about half a loop left when I finished binding off, which was the perfect amount to work into the bag.


1 comment:

  1. I ended up not doing this. It was a wreckage ball, the plarn was definitely not enough and the result was too big. I didn't use the pattern here, though, I made up another pattern that was even more confusing.

    ReplyDelete